Arma III on sale

on Steam right now for 50% off. Through may 11th I believe.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/bohemiaweekend/
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

21CW Ambassador

Re: Arma III on sale

Not sure if I should buy it or wait to see where 21cw is going with Arma.. Wouldn't like to buy that game for no special reason
    C47: [16AA]RE|Cpl.machakio
    C48v1: [NB19]M|Fn.machakio (2lt)
    C48v2: [1FR]C|2Lt.machakio
    C49: [IMAB]W|Cpt.machakio

Same boat as Machakio... With Duke's post about Tactical battlefield, I get the feeling that BF4 is done at 21CW, give or take one campaign.

Given the time limit on the 50% discount sale, I would like to have some community feedback rapidly on that hypothesis...

PS: I won't miss that POS game that BF4 is.

I've failed to see yet an example of a fast paced game/mod based on Arma, Tactical BF, etc. like BF3/BF4. All i see is slow paced, milsim type games. Anyone has videos with examples of fast paced games?

I'm following Venice Unleashed for some time now and installed the open beta. In contrast to Tactical BF the experience for a new user is way better in Venice Unleashed than Tactical BF: install BF3, install the Venice Unleashed client and be done, the client does the rest.

Look at this crapping installation procedure for Tactical BF: install ARMA, install all dependencies for Tactical BF documented here: http://www.tacbf.com/forum/app.php/page/download, then install Tactical BF and pray that all paths are correct, all versions for all dependencies are compatible, etc. Either I haven't found a simple way to get up to speed in reasonable time or these mods need some serious improvments regarding installation and setup procedures.

This is not meant as an attack on the modding community, just a rant of a user who just wants to play the game and not hunt down needed dependencies, fiddle with settings, etc.
    A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.

C46: [2ID] Roadrunner | 2LT
    C47: [16AA] 23 Engineer Regiment / The Household Cavalry Regiment | 2LT
    C48: [NB19] Heimdall | Kapten-Major
    C48v2: [4ID] | LtG
    C49: [IMAB] | General
    C50: [21CW] | Major

Quote Originally Posted by [4ID]W|Sgt.LemmingGrumpy View Post
    Same boat as Machakio... With Duke's post about Tactical battlefield, I get the feeling that BF4 is done at 21CW, give or take one campaign.

Given the time limit on the 50% discount sale, I would like to have some community feedback rapidly on that hypothesis...

PS: I won't miss that POS game that BF4 is.
    i just posted that thread as a suggestion for something to work off or just to look and discuss. It wasn't meant as a indicator what the tourney is going to do or even a suggestion that what we will do.

Quote Originally Posted by (4ID)Col.Duke View Post
    i just posted that thread as a suggestion for something to work off or just to look and discuss. It wasn't meant as a indicator what the tourney is going to do or even a suggestion that what we will do.
    I understand that, and I also understand why you needed to make it clear. Nevertheless, considering BF4 is not the most beloved game out there (with good reason), every new viable alternative that appears brings it closer to being kicked into the rubbish bin where it belongs, especially with 21CW already running an Arma server.

Oh well, there go 22 euros...

I'm curious, what is so bad with BF4?
    And conversely, what is so good with Arma we should consider it instead?
    C45: [22AD] JSGT | C46: [22AD] 2LT | C47: [16AA] SGT | C48.1: [NB19] *** | C48.2: [1FR] 2LT

The two can't be compared. They both use military assets, that's about all they have in common.

Intel 6600K 4.5GHz
    32GB DD4 Ram
    Titan X (Pascal)
    3x1 TB SSD - Raid 0
    Razer Orbweaver Chroma
    Razer Mamba TE Chroma
    Razer Kraken 7.1
    Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma
    3 x 24" Monitor

BF4 is a arcade shooter for kiddies. ARMA is a tactical game. So like Juno said ... Can't be compared.
    Fear the Reaper!

ARMA is a boring slow paced game where you walk for 20 minutes to get shot by a tank from a kilometer away. Wasteland is kind of fun though.

Arma is the perfect example of the slogan we used in the Military "Hurry up and wait"

Intel 6600K 4.5GHz
    32GB DD4 Ram
    Titan X (Pascal)
    3x1 TB SSD - Raid 0
    Razer Orbweaver Chroma
    Razer Mamba TE Chroma
    Razer Kraken 7.1
    3 x 24" Monitor

You know what 21CW has never been as far as I'm aware? A MilSim community. Any video game where the slogan is "Hurry up and wait" doesn't sound like fun to me at all.

The only major issue I have with BF4 is the shitty netcode. Other than that it's a solid game.

Is it really shitty netcode or just a fact of life when you have people playing on the same server with 400 ms between them?

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_...le_netcode_in/
    Last edited by [21CW]W|Pvt.Sineira-21CW; 06-02-2015 at 03:02 PM.
    C45: [22AD] JSGT | C46: [22AD] 2LT | C47: [16AA] SGT | C48.1: [NB19] *** | C48.2: [1FR] 2LT

Top comment from that thread:
    I believe people just use "netcode" as a way to say:
    "Its really fucking laggy online for some reason and it ain't on my end."

Call it netcode, game design decision, whatever, all I see is that shots miss that I know shouldn't, kill trades shouldn't happen in a game with no bleed mechanic (or maaaaybe once in a blue moon) and I get shot around corners. I've never had this happen in any type of FPS I played with any regularity. But whatever, then I just respawn and continue on my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaargh! View Post
    The only major issue I have with BF4 is the shitty netcode. Other than that it's a solid game.
    Hitreg is the single most important aspect of a FPS, and think most here agree that it sucks big time in BF4. Maybe for me this has something to do with living in Bumfuck, France, with a shitty connection, but it is still kinda ridiculous (all the moreso as DICE initially went with "the netcode is fine, noobz" as an answer to initial complaints, before doing a 180 and deciding that improving the netcode was their top priority).

Add to that the myriad of bugs that are still not fixed (game still randomly crashes regularly, memory leak on Dawnbreaker, vehicles get stuck while driving, player models get stuck on nothing while walking, vaulting is still broken, incendiaries still burn through walls, TV missiles still go through the ground, animations still induce massive teleportation of models, and we still have glitches galore) as well as what I feel were maps very inferior to what BF3 offered (ok, maybe that is just me, but still...), and BF4 won't be missed on my side.

ARMA III seems very different indeed (I have bought and downloaded it, but not played it for a single second yet), much less action-oriented, more sneaky-sneaky infiltration-based. Could be fun, am open to trying it (or else I will have wasted 20 euros ).

Quote Originally Posted by [21CW]LemmingGrumpy View Post

ARMA III seems very different indeed (I have bought and downloaded it, but not played it for a single second yet), much less action-oriented, more sneaky-sneaky infiltration-based. Could be fun, am open to trying it (or else I will have wasted 20 euros ).
    Take your time with the game, its fun and challenging, missions such as King of the hill can be fast pace with plenty of team work to be had, ArmA has lots to offer...play the game right and you wont need to walk for 20 mins to find action ;o)

Arma 3 has been on sale for a few months now.

well I won't be playing ArmA. I hated everything I saw about it so far and my computer won't run it as far as I can tell unless I turn everything down to "looks like shit" level. I also hate hurry up and wait games and fail to see how that can be made into an exciting battle day. I really hope 21cw doesn't go in that direction.

__________________________________________________ _________
    TechX: "You didn't kill ANYONE?!?" Me: "No, but I got a lot of assists!"
    41:[RDG]A|PFC.Tygergirl 42:[9AU]SP|PFC.Tygergirl 43:[USA]A|SPC.Tygergirl
    44:[8ID]4|PVT.Tygergirl 45:[22AD]SP|SLT.Tygergirl 46:[1MD]SP|LCpl.Tygergirl
    47:[16AA]B|SGT.Tygergirl 48:[4ID]KST|Pvt.Tygergirl

The action in army is crazy, however the large majority of the time you are killed by people you can't see, that you can't defend against, and that's after taking 20 minutes to get where you were. And that is assuming you have a vehicle, if your on foot it might as well be called walk in the woods simulator.

They really did simulate actual combat very well, but much like actual combat, it's not fun.

Is it immersive ? Yes, it sure is. On the highest graphic levels. Is it fun ? No, it's not.

Intel 6600K 4.5GHz
    32GB DD4 Ram
    Titan X (Pascal)
    3x1 TB SSD - Raid 0
    Razer Orbweaver Chroma
    Razer Mamba TE Chroma
    Razer Kraken 7.1
    3 x 24" Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Yaargh! View Post
    You know what 21CW has never been as far as I'm aware? A MilSim community. Any video game where the slogan is "Hurry up and wait" doesn't sound like fun to me at all.

It really depends on what mod you are playing. I don't think you are going to do much waiting playing King of the Hill for example. The downside to King of the Hill is that since A3 is so horribly optimized, you should expect 25fps on a full KoTH server. The strange thing is that after while you get used to it (shudder).

C38 - [1FJR]B|SGT.Zone15 | C40 - [IDF]C|PVT.Zone15 | C41 - [RDG]B|2LT.Zone15 | C42 - [18AD]F|2LT.Zone15 | C43 - [USA]B|CPT.Zone15 | C44 - [AMID]W|Cpt.Zone15 | C45 - [AMID]R|2Lt.Zone15 | C46 - [PLAN]J|1Lt.Zone15 | C47 - [16AA]RE|LCPL.Zone15 | C48 - [4ID]KPD|2Lt.Zone15 | C49 - [IMAB]KPD|1Lt.Zone15

Quote Originally Posted by [4ID]KST|Pvt.Tygergirl View Post
    well I won't be playing ArmA. I hated everything I saw about it so far and my computer won't run it as far as I can tell unless I turn everything down to "looks like shit" level. I also hate hurry up and wait games and fail to see how that can be made into an exciting battle day. I really hope 21cw doesn't go in that direction.
    Oddly enough Tiger, Arma3 usually runs better with high settings rather than low settings. This is due to how CPU dependent the game is. When you put most options to high settings, the game shifts some of the load to your GPU. You should try the King of the Hill mod, although you will have to get used to the low frames; no matter your PC specs, everyone gets low FPS in KoTH.

C38 - [1FJR]B|SGT.Zone15 | C40 - [IDF]C|PVT.Zone15 | C41 - [RDG]B|2LT.Zone15 | C42 - [18AD]F|2LT.Zone15 | C43 - [USA]B|CPT.Zone15 | C44 - [AMID]W|Cpt.Zone15 | C45 - [AMID]R|2Lt.Zone15 | C46 - [PLAN]J|1Lt.Zone15 | C47 - [16AA]RE|LCPL.Zone15 | C48 - [4ID]KPD|2Lt.Zone15 | C49 - [IMAB]KPD|1Lt.Zone15

I really enjoyed the 21cw arma 2 campaigns. The game felt like you had to actually be tactical. It would also be nice to have a game that is able to be modded.

DC Camp. 6-10: [27MB] [34IB] [6AB] [2SA] [606IB]BF2 Beta[69BD]
    BFBC2 Beta Camp-2: [4POG]MAJ [29AD]MajGen [2SCR]Gen
    ArmA II Beta Camp: [OPP]MAJ [3ID]MAJ

Actually the upcoming Squad looks to be promising. I'm part of the pre-alpha testing. I'll post vids here in a new thread. I think it could be a realistic answer for everyone that's not Battlefield.
    Fear the Reaper!

Quote Originally Posted by [21CW]KPD|Nefarious View Post
    I really enjoyed the 21cw arma 2 campaigns. The game felt like you had to actually be tactical. It would also be nice to have a game that is able to be modded.
    well we did a BF2 retro camp few camps ago and went pretty bad and we lost a bit people... i imagine doing something for Arma without being prepared would lead to the same outcome... and we can't afford that...

As for squad plz give us recent gameplay footage Iron coz last video i saw the game was absolute crap....
    21CW Lesson (Sword, Silent, Dogma, Webke): If something or someone keeps killing you, stop crying about it and figure out a way to stop it.

"Remember that guy who gave up? neither does anybody else"

Undefeated as a HCO of an Army. Hoohah !.

C38: [1CAV]FA|WO1 | C40: [IDF]NP|1LT | C41: [RDG]AAC|CPT | C42: [9AU]T|MSG | C43: [3AAG]BW|1LT | C44: [AMID]RBC|Pvt | C45: [101AD]LTG | C46: [1MD]LtGen | C47: [1CAV]GEN | C48: [TA]/[4ID]Gen | C49: [ASF]KSK|Pvt

this is what i could find

DC Camp. 6-10: [27MB] [34IB] [6AB] [2SA] [606IB]BF2 Beta[69BD]
    BFBC2 Beta Camp-2: [4POG]MAJ [29AD]MajGen [2SCR]Gen
    ArmA II Beta Camp: [OPP]MAJ [3ID]MAJ

Quote Originally Posted by KSK|Pvt.Ethn1ckX View Post
    well we did a BF2 retro camp few camps ago and went pretty bad and we lost a bit people... i imagine doing something for Arma without being prepared would lead to the same outcome... and we can't afford that...

As for squad plz give us recent gameplay footage Iron coz last video i saw the game was absolute crap....
    14 days to go of the Kickstarter then it should release to me a week or so after. There's quite a few YouTubers that have current footage though. I actually think the game looks good. Obviously it needs tuned but they're coming along.
    Fear the Reaper!