Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Squad

21CW Enlisted 21CW Silver Donor

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

Squad

The guys behind the project reallity mod from bf2 apparantly made an own game by the name of "squad" it's curently on steam greenlight and looks pretty impressive imo.
    take the time to read trough their highlights.
    If anything this looks to me like something 21cw should get into way more then arma3 and possibly contact the devs to get into it from the ground level on as to be a majore tournement for the game.

sincirly hoping some admins will read this and think about it; maybe get to them trough the forums here http://forums.joinsquad.com/forum/9-marketing-and-pr/ (in regards to 21cw beeing used pr-wise)

some highlights:

IMMERSIVE, REALISTIC COMBAT. With advice from former and current service personnel, we aim to deliver a completely immersive combat experience like no other. You’ll hear the buzz of rounds pass nearby and almost feel the intense gut churning reality of combat.

ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL. The base unit of Squad is not the individual, but the 9-man squad. Gameplay systems honed over years of experience with the Project Reality series draw the focus away from the lone-wolf player and much more on the cooperation with other members of your squad.

OPEN, EXPANSIVE LEVELS. Most of our maps will come directly or be heavily inspired from real world locations through Geographic Information Systems (GIS) satellite data, where authenticity and total tactical freedom to roam will always be part of the game.

MASSIVE 100 PLAYER SERVERS. 50 on 50, in countless squad combinations, all vying for control over an expansive battlefield.

SCALABILITY. Squad can be enjoyed on a much smaller scale with more concentrated fighting areas and tighter player counts, but still offers the freedom, tactical maneuverability and opportunities for team-play that are the hallmarks of the game.

KIT ROLE SYSTEM, be it a machine gunner, sniper, grenadier, APC-crewman, helicopter pilot, squad-leadership, construction engineer, medic, forward observer or even a plain old rifleman, every role has a part to play in the battle. This clear division of responsibilities greatly helps the experience as no one soldier can possibly do the job of an entire army. Personal progression is not measured by how shiny your weapon is, but how flexible you are in mastering all the different battlefield professions.

PLAYER-DRIVEN SPAWN-POINT AND BASE-BUILDING, which makes the front-lines of every match a unique experience. Players who prefer to construct rather than destruct have the capability to build fortifications and strong points for the team, and often play as important if not greater role than the ones doing the shooting.

LOGISTICS AND RESUPPLY SYSTEM, realised through your team's network of player-placed Forward Operating Bases (FOBs) and Rally Points (RPs) to support your front-lines. Whether its ensuring a clear path between your main base and your forward bases, or risking the gauntlet and delivering supplies by helicopter or truck, a supply system controls what weapons are available at your Forward Operating Bases, and even how much you can fortify your spawn points. Defending friendly and eliminating enemy Supply Lines, FOBs and RPs become just as important as putting troops into the Objective Zones on the map.

COMBINED ARMS WARFARE. Join a tank crew, be an unstoppable force in a CAS helicopter with your co-pilot or even run logistics and build fortifications, there are many ways to make your mark on the battlefield. From grunts to motorcycles to APCs to attack helicopters and everything in between, we offer gameplay systems that make multilayered teamwork enjoyable and rewarding without the need to join private communities.

REAL WORLD CURRENT TIME PERIOD FACTIONS, including regular and irregular forces. Meaning the inclusion of realistic tactics, weapons, accouterments, load-outs, vehicles, sounds and sights of war using highly accurate modelling accrued from our military advisors as well as years of experimentation and experience in the modding scene.

BALLISTICS AND SIGHTS. Server side, simulated Newtonian physics with our custom physics engine code. From small arms to grenade launchers, mounted machine guns to dumb-fire rockets, we aim to have working sights that significantly up the level of immersion when it comes to firing your weapon.

SIMULATED DAMAGE MODELS. Server side damage system where being shot means you're not going to be sprinting until treated by a medic, and a direct shot to your wheels means you're not going to be moving around until field repairs have been made.

INTEGRATED POSITIONAL VOIP COMMUNICATION, no need for third party programs, we're using the most effective codecs in-game. Speaking to other squad leaders across the map, or even the man next to you couldn't be easier.

ALL THE TOOLS NEEDED FOR INTRA-SQUAD AND INTER-SQUAD COMMUNICATION built into the game. In the last ten years, the industry has moved away from providing proper command and communication features available out of the box. Squad will fix this.

TRUE FIRST PERSON CHARACTERS. (aka ‘body awareness’) character models, there won’t be walking gunheads here. Your first person movements will be the exact same as seen by other players in third person. There are no rigged 1P arms for your on screen infantry character, the entire character body is modeled and viewable at all times.

A MEDICAL SYSTEM REFINED through 10 years of gameplay history. A revival system balanced to make medics and casualty evacuation an extremely critical part of the game, and with features like dragging coming to Squad, saving your buddy in the midst of battle is an experience like no other.

ASSAULT AND SECURE, an objective zone based game mode that promotes a defined 'front-line' style of combat. The objectives also are regenerated every round, so no two sessions will ever play the same. We plan to have many more game modes to come!

ADMINS SPECTATOR MODES AND OVERVIEW PANELS to allow administration teams the tools required to own, operate, and oversee their servers.

REFINED MACHINIMA/FILMING TOOLS designed by film enthusiasts for ease of use, to allow for high quality machinima or gameplay videos.

SUPPORT FOR MODDERS AND MISSION DESIGNERS FROM DAY ONE of retail release. The Squad developers are paying it forward and will provide reference and frameworks for hobbyist modders and mission creators, and paid commissions for qualified mod teams.

SUPPORT FOR TEAM TOURNAMENTS AND LADDERS. Both large scale 50v50 matches for public and clan ladders, and 5v5 and 8v8 on specifically designed smaller maps, allowing tournaments that can take full advantage of the Unreal Engine 4 framework, animations, weapons and ballistics systems to challenge the competitive FPS standard for the last several years.

A DEVELOPMENT PROCESS OPEN TO EARLY BACKERS having direct access to the Dev Team during testing sessions and monthly live-streams. This was a mainstay of our decade of modding, and we're adding live-streaming to show off the process as we go, and will continue to be a way for the community to get direct access to the game as it develops and evolves, and for the Devs to get in the trenches and have some fun and get feedback on the gameplay as we implement and test planned features.

#38 [1FJR]SY|2LT.Webke #39 [1CMD]R|CPT.Webke #40 [GAFE]MG.Webke #41 [RDG]MG.Webke #42 [9AU]GEN.Webke #43 [3AAG]BW|CPT.Webke #44 [7CAD]V|SLT.Webke #45 [101AD]R|CPL.Webke #46 - 47 [TA]Webke #48 [1FR]W|PFC.Webke #49 [ASF]D|PFC.Webke #50 [21CW]D|PVT.Webke

Re: Squad

looks interesting. Just wondering how it will play out. Availability wont be any time soon so we will keep our eye on it.

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

aye i'm guesing it'll take a couple of years before it's fully playable. nut imo the sooner we lay contacts with them, the better. this game screams tournement play and 21cw

#38 [1FJR]SY|2LT.Webke #39 [1CMD]R|CPT.Webke #40 [GAFE]MG.Webke #41 [RDG]MG.Webke #42 [9AU]GEN.Webke #43 [3AAG]BW|CPT.Webke #44 [7CAD]V|SLT.Webke #45 [101AD]R|CPL.Webke #46 - 47 [TA]Webke #48 [1FR]W|PFC.Webke #49 [ASF]D|PFC.Webke #50 [21CW]D|PVT.Webke

sounds very cool

__________________________________________________ _________
    TechX: "You didn't kill ANYONE?!?" Me: "No, but I got a lot of assists!"
    41:[RDG]A|PFC.Tygergirl 42:[9AU]SP|PFC.Tygergirl 43:[USA]A|SPC.Tygergirl
    44:[8ID]4|PVT.Tygergirl 45:[22AD]SP|SLT.Tygergirl 46:[1MD]SP|LCpl.Tygergirl
    47:[16AA]B|SGT.Tygergirl 48:[4ID]KST|Pvt.Tygergirl

21CW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by [TC]Raz View Post
    looks interesting. Just wondering how it will play out. Availability wont be any time soon so we will keep our eye on it.
    I agree, let's not forget about it
    C47: [16AA]RE|Cpl.machakio
    C48v1: [NB19]M|Fn.machakio (2lt)
    C48v2: [1FR]C|2Lt.machakio
    C49: [IMAB]W|Cpt.machakio

Quote Originally Posted by [1FR]W|PFC.Webke View Post
    If anything this looks to me like something 21cw should get into way more then arma3 and possibly contact the devs to get into it from the ground level on as to be a majore tournement for the game.
    From what I've seen and read (which isn't much tbh), I don't see why we should be way more interested into that then arma3, a lot of the features are also present in Arma or is possible with mods. I'm not saying we should not look into it, but I don't see why some seem to be against arma 3 while trying to promote this.
    Campaign history: C37 [1CAG]V|SGT.Fengard, C38 [1CAV]HH|SGM.Fengard, C39 [1SOB]LD|CPT.Fengard, C40 [2SL]COL.Fengard, C41 [RDG]W|2LT.Fengard, C42 [9AU]COL.Fengard, C43 [3AAG]COL.Fengard, C44 [7CAD]COL.Fengard, C45 [22AD]GEN.Fengard, C46 [1MD]P|MSgt.Fengard, C47[1CAV]P|2Lt.Fengard, C48 [4ID]KPD|Cpt.Fengard, C49 [IMAB]KPD|Cpt.Fengard

i posted a thread back in october about it ..dont think youl get any interest here

https://21cwforums.com/showthread.php?t=302410

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by [4ID]KPD|Cpt.Fengard View Post
    From what I've seen and read (which isn't much tbh), I don't see why we should be way more interested into that then arma3, a lot of the features are also present in Arma or is possible with mods. I'm not saying we should not look into it, but I don't see why some seem to be against arma 3 while trying to promote this.
    well i havn't playe arma3 yet so if i'm wrong i apologize and then pelase do correct me.

from what i've read around here and in the sugestion threa regarding our server i get the impression that arma3 is slow paced as hell (while i have the impression that with squad that is less the case) an that to change any of that and (i really get this impression from the server-sugestion thread) to make it anywhere near playable an fun (unless you count running for hours to get to a weapon fun) you need to install a dozen of mods an mod yourselve.
    on the otherhand it seems to me that squad is a better well rounded base-game.

so suming up. my impression is that arma3 needs waaay more mods and work to make it fun to play, while squad seems to better in the base game

march updates out
    http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=14
    dont think its going to be out any time soon though maybe autumn ....they are releasing a founders pack for people who wish to back it but not really sure wot you will be getting..but its definatly one to keep a eye on

It never hurts to look around. If Webke is excited about this game and is willing to keep us posted I can only applaud that.
    With BF4 still getting updates (night maps) and our work on arma 3 the staff is currently swamped.
    I continuously state we are a community where we all make it happen. Keep it up

It is still a long way coming, but I'd really consider getting in touch with the developers when the time comes.
    [42MKR]C|PVT.Tallmios , [1FJR]B|SGT.Tallmios, [IDF]C|1LT.Tallmios, [RDG]W|SGT.Tallmios, [9AU]SP|SGT.Tallmios, [3AAG]D|1LT.Tallmios, [AMID]R|CPT.Tallmios, [101AD]S|PFC.Tallmios, [1CAV]G|Pvt.Tallmios, [NB19]M|Pvt.Tallmios, [ASF]KSK|PVT.Tallmios

Last time we hooked up with the devs... well it didn't exactly work out in our favour.

Intel 6600K 4.5GHz
    32GB DD4 Ram
    Titan X (Pascal)
    3x1 TB SSD - Raid 0
    Razer Orbweaver Chroma
    Razer Mamba TE Chroma
    Razer Kraken 7.1
    Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma
    3 x 24" Monitor

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

Different time, different game, different admins, different devs

Same tournament, so don't make the same mistakes.

Intel 6600K 4.5GHz
    32GB DD4 Ram
    Titan X (Pascal)
    3x1 TB SSD - Raid 0
    Razer Orbweaver Chroma
    Razer Mamba TE Chroma
    Razer Kraken 7.1
    3 x 24" Monitor

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by [KHOR]Cpt.Juno(XLIV) View Post
    Same tournament, so don't make the same mistakes.
    The tournement is just the name 21cw...
    Your comment makes nos sens what so ever oO

Again: different afmins, different devs

level bf and tactical gamer are all ready on board shame nobody was interested or for seen this back when i made the first post back in october

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by [16AA]1R|Pvt.jankster View Post
    level bf and tactical gamer are all ready on board shame nobody was interested or for seen this back when i made the first post back in october
    (

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

pre-alpha gameplay

21CW Ambassador

Thanks for the update Webke!

This didn't get my heart pumping though hmm
    C47: [16AA]RE|Cpl.machakio
    C48v1: [NB19]M|Fn.machakio (2lt)
    C48v2: [1FR]C|2Lt.machakio
    C49: [IMAB]W|Cpt.machakio

Quote Originally Posted by [1FR]C|2LT.machakio View Post

This didn't get my heart pumping though hmm

yup
    21CW Lesson (Sword, Silent, Dogma, Webke): If something or someone keeps killing you, stop crying about it and figure out a way to stop it.

"Remember that guy who gave up? neither does anybody else"

Undefeated as a HCO of an Army. Hoohah !.

C38: [1CAV]FA|WO1 | C40: [IDF]NP|1LT | C41: [RDG]AAC|CPT | C42: [9AU]T|MSG | C43: [3AAG]BW|1LT | C44: [AMID]RBC|Pvt | C45: [101AD]LTG | C46: [1MD]LtGen | C47: [1CAV]GEN | C48: [TA]/[4ID]Gen | C49: [ASF]KSK|Pvt

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

Yes the way it looks now it doesn't get me super excited either. But well pre-alpha ... I'm guesing there is about 3+ years ahead of develpmont before we get spmething descent

Looks like it was made on the Unreal 2009 engine. Not for me thanks.

Intel 6600K 4.5GHz
    32GB DD4 Ram
    Titan X (Pascal)
    3x1 TB SSD - Raid 0
    Razer Orbweaver Chroma
    Razer Mamba TE Chroma
    Razer Kraken 7.1
    3 x 24" Monitor

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

Again, pre-alpha. It's actually made on unreal 4 engine

Pre-Alpha doesn't mean it's going to all the sudden start looking amazing and worthwhile once it is Alpha. Looking like the original insurgency is not a point in the games favour.

Intel 6600K 4.5GHz
    32GB DD4 Ram
    Titan X (Pascal)
    3x1 TB SSD - Raid 0
    Razer Orbweaver Chroma
    Razer Mamba TE Chroma
    Razer Kraken 7.1
    3 x 24" Monitor

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

for those interestted; squad is now on kickstarter.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

as part of their kickstarter campaign they are doing a 'boot camp' in which they explain some of there game mechanics. i'll post em here, so far there have been 5

#1 The Basics

“ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL. The base unit of Squad is not the individual, but the 9-man squad. Gameplay systems honed over years of experience with the Project Reality series draw the focus away from the lone-wolf player and much more on the cooperation with other members of your squad.”

But what does that mean? What are some of these gameplay systems? What happens when you spawn in?

Compass & Minimalist HUD

On your Heads-Up Display, you will see only 3 things. In the middle, your compass, which you use to instantly call bearings and direction; on the bottom right, your weapon’s fire mode and reserve ammunition; and on the bottom left your current stamina.

HUD (Concept)
    Having less information being spoon-fed to you means that you will need to rely on not only your own eyes, but the eyes of your other Squad mates. The Compass will also display crucial information via the command marker from your Squad Leader.

Kit Roles

In Squad, every player chooses a Kit Role.

Kit Roles in Squad
    Each role is assigned exactly what they need to perform their duties, whether it be a machine gun with a bipod for creating a base of fire, or a single light anti-tank rocket for light armor, but the idea is to standardize load-outs in order for you as the player to know exactly what the soldier next to you is capable of doing at a glance. There are also deliberate limitations as well, controlling the number of heavy weapons and specialized troops on the battlefield. No squads full of snipers! Penalties also apply if you are killed and lose your heavy equipment in the field, so with great power comes great responsibility.

The Squad Leader

Squad Leaders are the brains of a Squad. Many players will find it difficult initially to step into such a role, but leadership is one of the most rewarding aspects of the game. At your disposal are tools that help you maintain Squad cohesion.

Place-able Markers

Command Markers (Concept)
    Markers are placed by the Squad leader either in 3D space, or via their command map. These markers will show up on every Squad member’s compass and on their own maps, and are used as a quick means to coordinate your intentions and messages to your Squad.

The Rally Point

Rally Points (US Army on the left, Insurgents on the Right)
    Rally Points are the Squad’s primary means of reinforcing themselves. They are a spawn point placed by the Squad leader and allow for a Squad to regroup after casualties have been taken or otherwise. These will require the Squad Leader as well as a few of his Squad members to be present near him when placing. In addition, these can also be easily overrun by the enemy, so careful placement is necessary.

That wraps it up for the first session of Boot Camp! We will bring you another one very soon, this time explaining our approach to Voice over IP and what it means for you. We will also revisit some of these key concepts, such as Squad Leading and Kit Roles further down the track!

Till then, Offworld Out.

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

#2 Voice over IP

“INTEGRATED POSITIONAL VOIP COMMUNICATION, no need for third party programs, we're using the most effective codecs in-game. Speaking to other squad leaders across the map, or even the man next to you couldn't be easier. ALL THE TOOLS NEEDED FOR INTRA-SQUAD AND INTER-SQUAD COMMUNICATION built into the game. In the last ten years, the industry has moved away from providing proper command and communication features available out of the box. Squad will fix this.”

But what does that mean? Communication? How do we make it easier for you?

Completely Integrated Voice Solution

VoIP in Squad is a completely tailored solution, built from the ground up, to facilitate voice communication right out of the box. Voice quality is comparable if not better than the leading third party solutions, and is tied in very closely with the team and squad organisational structures. All you need to do is have a microphone!

As soon as you join a squad, you have two channels open to you, each assigned a push-to-talk hotkey.

The beauty of local voice is that it is a 3D positional replication of your voice, so anyone within a 25 metre radius of you will be able to hear you, and so the further you are from the person speaking over Local, the quieter they sound. Also if they are to the left or right of you their voice will come from that respective side.

If you are a Squad Leader, you have even more communication channels to help you with coordination.

In order to further encourage use of Squad’s native VoIP, you will continue to have the ability to transmit while wounded or dead. In addition local voice chat will not be picked up by the enemy.

That wraps it up for the second session of Boot Camp! We will bring you another one very soon, this time explaining our approach to level design and game modes, in order to facilitate much more strategic play, as well as prolonging the life we have for our maps.

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

#3 Strategy and level design

“OPEN, EXPANSIVE LEVELS. Most of our maps will come directly or be heavily inspired from real world locations through Geographic Information Systems (GIS) satellite data, where authenticity and total tactical freedom to roam will always be part of the game.”

What does that mean? Maps with Total Tactical Freedom? How does strategy come into this at all?

Scale

Maps in Squad can range between 1.5²km (2.25km²) to 4²km (16km²). To give you an idea..

This large-scale approach was taken to make vehicular travel a necessity to go from point A to point B, as well as stressing the importance of well-placed spawn locations and Forward Operating Bases (FOBs) to maintain your front line.

Advance & Secure Game Mode

The core game mode of Squad that we will be launching with is called “Advance & Secure”. Teams compete to capture objectives in a linear path.

Capture zones often are strategic points on the map with a countless numbers of approach options, so defending highly contested positions requires lots of coordination, clear means of reinforcement and some kind of fortification.

Maps are being designed with as much replayability as possible, while minimalising the benefit of map memorisation. Upon the start of each round, the capture points and attack routes will change.

How to Wage War

There are 3 main things a team’s Squads need to be doing while in the field, either SECURING new ground and routing the enemy from their positions; SUPPLYING the front lines with troops (via transportation) and additional supplies; or FORTIFYING positions with deployables using supplies and defending the objectives.

In this manner there are a wealth of roles a player can take up within a Squad, and within the team as a Squad. Want to make the next Great Wall of China out of sandbags? You can. Want to be a hard charger and take your squad into the thick of the action? You can. Want to drive around the battlefield, pulling troops to where they need to be? You definitely can.

Primary, Secondary & Tertiary Objectives

There are 3 things you can actively do as a combatant -

The secondary and tertiary objectives in Squad are completely dynamic as it is entirely dependant on how the opposing side structures its bases and supply lines. This stresses the importance of battlefield reconnaissance and intelligence, either with scouting parties or UAVs.

That wraps it up for the third session of Boot Camp! Next time we will be explaining our approach to Base Building and the importance of Deployables. Get your shovels out, gentlemen!

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

#4 Base building and deployables

“PLAYER-DRIVEN SPAWN-POINT AND BASE-BUILDING, which makes the front-lines of every match a unique experience. Players who prefer to construct rather than destruct have the capability to build fortifications and strong points for the team, and often play as important if not greater role than the ones doing the shooting.”

LOGISTICS AND RESUPPLY SYSTEM, realised through your team's network of player-placed Forward Operating Bases (FOBs) and Rally Points (RPs) to support your front-lines. Whether its ensuring a clear path between your main base and your forward bases, or risking the gauntlet and delivering supplies by helicopter or truck, a supply system controls what weapons are available at your Forward Operating Bases, and even how much you can fortify your spawn points. Defending friendly and eliminating enemy Supply Lines, FOBs and RPs become just as important as putting troops into the Objective Zones on the map.”

But what does that mean? How do the respawn mechanics work? You can actually build bases in this game? What does that entail?

Spawn Locations

There are 3 places where you can spawn in Squad.

Each have their own unique purpose and utility. Rally Points (RPs) are useful in maintaining squad cohesion as they can be placed in locations relatively close to the front and be up and running without any form of supply. They work extremely well in a pinch if a squad has taken some losses and needs to regroup.

Forward Operating Bases (FOBs) are the bread and butter means of reinforcement as they allow the entire team to spawn within their walls. Placing them however requires a degree of coordination with logistics and also a limited number of them can be placed around the map.

Finally the Main Base (Main) is where both sides start at the beginning of the round. Spawning at this location is nearly instant and all vehicular assets spawn here as well. However by virtue of the game, the Main Base usually is the furthest point away from the front, so unless you have a means of transportation the walk back to the action is going to be a long one.

Deployables

Deployables are structures that Squad Leaders and Engineers can deploy within the construction radius of a Forward Operating Base. These structures require other soldiers to construct them, thus setting up a FOB is not a solo act.

Deployables are divided into 3 categories - Fortifications which are defensive cover options and measures like sandbags, razor wire and trip flares; Emplacements are weapons platforms like heavy machine guns and anti-air batteries; Tech Structures are used to expand the functionality of a FOB, so necessities like ammo dumps, armories to change kit roles and a casualty collection point to take in wounded (more about this in a later Boot Camp).

In addition you will be able to upgrade the Radio Hub to access higher level deployables and weapons. This will allow particular FOBs to become serious defensive and fire support assets on the battlefield, if enough logistical support is provided to them.

Logistics

Logistics are a critical part in maintaining the FOB system and supplying troops on the battlefield. Aside from delivering ammunition and reinforcements to squads in the field, players running logistics either by land or air are necessary in maintaining and upgrading Forward Operating Bases.

In addition, transport vehicles like APCs and transport helicopters play a key part in the mobility of a squad and factor in greatly when planning an assault or bringing in reinforcements to hold a defense.

----

That wraps it up for the fourth session of Boot Camp! Next time we will explain the bare bones of our Medical system, and helping the survivability of your squad.

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

#5 Medical system

Welcome once again to Boot Camp, an introductory series aimed at explaining to you, the backer, about the BASICS and MECHANICS of what makes Squad the game it is.
    A MEDICAL SYSTEM REFINED through 10 years of gameplay history. A revival system balanced to make medics and casualty evacuation an extremely critical part of the game, and with features like dragging coming to Squad, saving your buddy in the midst of battle is an experience like no other.”

But what does that mean? How does our Medical system work? What role do Medics have on the battlefield?

The Medic, Casualty Evacuation & Reviving

Medics are a lightly armed role, kitted with a service rifle, a compliment of smoke grenades, a limited amount of medical supplies and a reserve of field dressings. Their primary job is to keep the squad in working capacity by treating the wounded and reviving friendly soldiers that have been Incapacitated. The medic is the only role capable of bringing soldiers up from the Incapacitated state.

When You Get Hit

Getting hurt on the battlefield is an inevitability, but how you and your squad manage your wounded is key in prolonging combat effectiveness. Below is a simple flowchart on what happens, and what measures your squad-mates can take to ensure you make it through the round in (hopefully) one piece.

The medic needs to stabilize and treat the casualty until he is back on his feet, at which then the soldier is put into a Wounded State.

The Wounded State & Casualty Collection Points (CCPs)

After being revived, a soldier is put into a wounded state. You will continue to function as normal, but will receive a penalty in stamina, an increase in weapon sway as well as being much more likely to be outright killed next time you are incapacitated. You are still capable of putting up a fight, but you are not as combat effectiveness as a replacement who is fresh and hasn’t been incapacitated before.

To take you out of this wounded state, we are including a tech structure with FOBs called the Casualty Collection Point (CCP). Players have the option now of falling back to the nearest CCP and be brought back to full strength. The analogy here is that the wounded has been evacuated and a replacement has come to the front, incurring no penalties to the team.

Doing this gives the squad with wounded options, whether to press on at half-strength, or call in transport and evacuate the wounded so they can return to the front at full strength. It also gives pause to the squad, and if they are taking this many casualties then a change in strategy or tactics can be thought through.

That wraps it up for the fourth session of Boot Camp! Next time we will delve into Vehicles and Combined Arms Warfare, what that means and how Squad will handle such a powerfully game-changing feature.