Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me Come Back! :D

Okay, I've been around [21CW] coming close to two years; and I always loved playing battles on saturdays and leading troops on weekday practices. I started missing this place right after I enlisted in the U.S. Army. IRL, I am starting to come back financially so I'm trying to build a computer (or buy a bundle to get me by), but the thing is I have no idea what I'm looking for. Can anyone help me? As of now I really have no time because I got NTC in September then deployment soon after (most likely somewhere like Africa) but I wanna get some games in during the summer, late spring. My budget is 2000, but if I can get a good-end desktop for less I'm all for it. I wanna be able to play Battlefield 4 on medium/high, I'm not too fancy on graphics but more on performance.

Can't wait to get back in the game.

(21CW) K0rea

Military Veteran - Combat Engineer
    Army Reserve - Intelligence Analyst

Re: Help me Come Back! :D

as long as your rig is listed as a "gaming" desktop, anything you buy should work fine. That is, unless you really get screwed somehow.

I built my system years ago and it was only 1-1.5K and I get 60fps on low/med
    Dammit Gym, I'm a couch potato not a badazz!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You just can't help some people."

Never seen a pre-built PC that didn't have an extreme bottleneck. They dump all the cash on something they can advertise (e.g. graphics card) and then install a POS hard drive and skimp on PSUs and that.
    Anyways, brand preference? AMD vs Intel? Nvidia vs ATI/AMD? Gonna OC? You got space for a large case? Hate noisy computers? Have you got an OS to install or does that need to be included? If so, Win 8 or Win 7?
    C41: [SOAF]K|2LT C42: [18AD]K|2LT C43: [USA]A|CPT C44:[AMID]J|Cpt C45:[USMC]K|2Lt C46:[PLAN]S|CSgtC3

I always loved working with Intel, wasn't such a good picker for AMD. Nvidia here. OC? I honestly don't mess with overclocking, because I don't know what I would be doing lol. Noisy doesn't matter, as long as it doesnt rumble my ears. I have Win8 separately I can install.

I've seen some good prebuilts from a few companies even best buy. They had core i7 with plenty of ram and an empty pcix slot for around 1K then just buy and install your vid card. You want win 8.1.

Quote Originally Posted by [22AD]COL.TechX View Post
    I've seen some good prebuilts from a few companies even best buy. They had core i7 with plenty of ram and an empty pcix slot for around 1K then just buy and install your vid card. You want win 8.1.
    This is what I did, my rig runs fine. Find a nice desktop setup, then buy the VC afterward. Instead of going for a 'gaming rig.'
    "Hmmm....That sounds like something a responsible parent wouldn't let you do. Good thing I'm an Uncle! Avenge me kids! AVENGE ME!" -Stan Pines (Gravity Falls)

It isn't hard to buy the parts separate and piece them together if you're interested in that route either. And to get 60fps on med for bf4? You can probs do that for ~ $700 currently. (mobo = 80, case = 50, ram = 70, hdd = 70, gpu = 140, psu = 50, Cpu = 140, and another 100 to distribute on a better GPU, an SSD, more RAM, etc)

C43: [3AAG]BP|Cpl.Farreep | C44 (Beta): [5MR]IF|Pfc.Farreep | C45: [22AD]ST*|Pvt.Farreep | C46: [2ID]C|Cpt.Farreep | C47: [1CAV]MG.Farreep | C48: [NB19]Lt.Farreep | C49: SBS|Pvt.Farreep

^^ +1 i built my rig from seperate pieces aswell. Makes it alot cheaper and you'll have the abillity to choose every component yourself. Most rigs have a few components that need improvement right og the bat, so when you put it together yourself, your budget would be way better spent then on a pre-assembled rig. It's not really hard to put it together aswell, just need some patience and follow the manual closely

But if you want to do some late-summer gaming, then i'd wait a while and start assembling in summer instead of now
    Campaign history:

Quotes:

Whatever you build, try to target consistent 60 fps. Depending on your choices you may have to scale back a few settings, but it should easily be doable for under $1k. Do you already have a monitor?

With a 2000 budget, you could really build yourself a pretty beastly rig! I built my first one last May. So much easier than I ever thought it'd be and I actually enjoyed doing it, not to mention a great learning experience. Look for sales, EVGA has em all the time and by summer you could have everything you need! My opinion, I'd splurge on the video card and an SSD.

Back in the day you really did have to watch out for compatibility issues like default ram timings for each brand/make/model vs mobo you choose. Nowadays it's not really an issue. You can get a pretty fast computer for a reasonable amount of cash. Definitely less than 2K.

My opinion, I'd splurge on the video card and an SSD.
    This^

C43: [3AAG]BP|Cpl.Farreep | C44 (Beta): [5MR]IF|Pfc.Farreep | C45: [22AD]ST*|Pvt.Farreep | C46: [2ID]C|Cpt.Farreep | C47: [1CAV]MG.Farreep | C48: [NB19]Lt.Farreep | C49: SBS|Pvt.Farreep

I've looked at different benchmarks and it seems that the game doesn't really need a particularly fast (or even new) CPU as long as it has 4 cores. Even an older i7-920 is capable of hitting 90-100 fps. The GPU is another matter though. If you can find an unlocked i5 on sale, I'd grab that, even if it was an older model. Go for the best GPU you can afford, a moderately sized SSD to install windows and the game (you can find up to 256gb for around $130), a big conventional drive to store other crap (you can find a 2tb WD for under $100) on and you should be good to go. Final thought...I wouldn't waste much money on a new optical disk if you have one lying around, I think I've used mine twice in the last six months.

Quote Originally Posted by [101AD]C|CPT.z00keeper View Post
    Whatever you build, try to target consistent 60 fps. Depending on your choices you may have to scale back a few settings, but it should easily be doable for under $1k. Do you already have a monitor?
    I have a TV, but I'm grabbing a monitor after my PC would be bought. It's weird, because I have to find a way to make it work in my room; my desk attachment is too low for something higher than a 20 inch monitor.

My rig was $800 and I get around 100-120 fps on medium settings (60-80 on high). So with $2,000, you should be set. As Nota said, do some research on a build you see that you like. It may be bottlenecked. For instance, today i was reading my maximum PC magazine and seen an i3-3220K with a GTX-680 and 8GB Ram. That is a no go, no matter how good of a price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...=Combo.1531382

that was what i was trying to link mobile no work...

Quote Originally Posted by (TA)Duke View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...=Combo.1531382

that was what i was trying to link mobile no work...
    I like this one and I thought of getting it; but question is, should I stop here? Or keep looking for something better for less or superior for more?

this will run the game very well but you are right if you do slick deals and shop around you can put something better together for the same money. It just might take a while for some of the stuff to go on sale. budget being what it is you could add to this combo another http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130921 and still have money left over for a monitor.

Honestly, if you just want to play bf then that rig Duke posted should work very well. If you want to easily play it on high then you could even SLI with another card.

That's a pretty good system, but you can put something similar together for less if you don't mind putting in a minimum of effort to assemble it.

Don't forget a fast (120Hz refresh) monitor to go with it, otherwise all those extra fps are wasted. Asus makes really fast (144Hz) monitors, but they aren't so great for color accuracy, if that's a concern for you. This one gets good reviews for speed:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236313

Korea PM me. I build gaming PCs on the side. I can give you ideas to do your own or build it for you and ship it. Your call.
    Fear the Reaper!

Since I basically have most people's attention, what has changed? I really miss this place. First Camp was with Stuey and TonEighty rocking [1FJR].

We changed the curtains. What's up with you? You an azkiker now?

Quote Originally Posted by TechX View Post
    We changed the curtains. What's up with you? You an azkiker now?
    Let's just say the military gave me a Man Card. Lol. I love the website and looks like [21CW] is doing big things!

Don't lose that card! FYI, your wife might take it when you get married.

Quote Originally Posted by TechX View Post
    Don't lose that card! FYI, your wife might take it when you get married.
    We're not talking about you Tech this is about Korea. Haha
    Fear the Reaper!

Oh no you di-int!
    Tech still has his man card. I have no interest in it.

__________________________________________________ _________
    TechX: "You didn't kill ANYONE?!?" Me: "No, but I got a lot of assists!"
    41:[RDG]A|PFC.Tygergirl 42:[9AU]SP|PFC.Tygergirl 43:[USA]A|SPC.Tygergirl
    44:[8ID]4|PVT.Tygergirl 45:[22AD]SP|SLT.Tygergirl 46:[1MD]SP|LCpl.Tygergirl
    47:[16AA]B|SGT.Tygergirl 48:[4ID]KST|Pvt.Tygergirl

Hopefully soon the Army is supposed to give me my 2,000 backpay. If it comes in soon I can get a desktop easily; all my other finances are squared away anyway.

Hello everyone; I'm still alive and well Miss everyone! Just thought I'd stop by see how things are going. Looks pretty good. This summer was hectic and stressful for me for work...been in the field 4 times and I just got back from NTC this month. Had my birthday out there...that sucked. But I'm through it! Deploying soon to Africa don't know where but nowhere near Ebola thats for sure. See you guys around!