Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dogma's Intervention: A discussion on addicting authors.

Every once in a while I stumble across a mistake. An author who grabs by the jewels and yanks you through the story. Where you start reading and then it's 4AM. I am posting this list as a warning. Avoid these folks at all costs! Your dreams beg you!

My current list is as follows:
    • Patrick Rothfuss
    • George R.R. Martin
    • Kevin Hearne
    • A. Lee Martinez
    • Jeff Wheeler
    • Rick Gualitieri
    • Robert E. Howard

Take it from my experiences, these folks are to be avoided at all costs. If you must read them, and that's a big if, do so only when you have 800 million billion hours free to finish the book. Else, no sleep for you!
    "Hmmm....That sounds like something a responsible parent wouldn't let you do. Good thing I'm an Uncle! Avenge me kids! AVENGE ME!" -Stan Pines (Gravity Falls)

Re: Authors that are a 'mistake' to start reading.

What type of books they wrote like about?
    *Competitions: Team Spider Pigs Subterfuge [2nd Place Runner/ 28 June 2014/ 5v5 CTF]*
    BF3 C35 Beta I - [24ME]EZ|Pvt.GivemeGiveme, BF3 C35 Beta II - [1MD]G|Cpl.GivemeGiveme , BF3 C36 - [42MKR]A|PVT.GivemeGiveme, BF3 C38 - [1FJR]SR|PFC.GivemeGiveme,
    BF2 C39 Retro - [1CMD]BT|PVT.GivemeGiveme, BF3 C40 - [GAFE]S|SGT.GivemeGiveme, BF3 C41 - [RDG]D|PVT.GivemeGiveme, BF3 C42 - [9AU]C|SGT.GivemeGiveme,
    BF3 C43 - [USA]E|PVT.GivemeGiveme, BF4 C44 - [7CAD]S|LT.GivemeGiveme, BF4 C45 - [AMID]W|Pvt.GivemeGiveme, BF4 C46 - [PLAN]W|2Lt.GivemeGiveme

It varies. My tastes can best be described as eclectic.

Rothfuss, Martin, and Wheeler can best be described as low fantasy (not a lot of magic) Martin writes the Song of Ice & Fire series that is now the Game of Thrones TV show.

Hearne, Martinez, and Gualitieri are mostly Urban Fantasy. Modern day but legends of old exist kind of thing. Martinez writes humorous books.

Howard is the guy who invented Conan the Barbarian. Those stories are great, but I prefer his Solomon Kane stories.
    "Hmmm....That sounds like something a responsible parent wouldn't let you do. Good thing I'm an Uncle! Avenge me kids! AVENGE ME!" -Stan Pines (Gravity Falls)

21CW Enlisted 21CW Silver Donor

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

Don't forget tom clancy!! I looove the jack ryan series!

#38 [1FJR]SY|2LT.Webke #39 [1CMD]R|CPT.Webke #40 [GAFE]MG.Webke #41 [RDG]MG.Webke #42 [9AU]GEN.Webke #43 [3AAG]BW|CPT.Webke #44 [7CAD]V|SLT.Webke #45 [101AD]R|CPL.Webke #46 - 47 [TA]Webke #48 [1FR]W|PFC.Webke #49 [ASF]D|PFC.Webke #50 [21CW]D|PVT.Webke

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series
    Brandon Sanderson - Finished the last few books of the WoT series and has an amazing set of other books.

The death gate series (2 authors)
    The Hollows series by Kim Harrison

^ just a few of the series that has kept us up at night
    Dammit Gym, I'm a couch potato not a badazz!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You just can't help some people."

Terry Pratchett is the only author I been compelled to follow, and therefor have read most of his books.

My only experience with Tom Clancy was The Bear and the Dragon, which was pretty **** and put me off him, though people says that book was pretty much his worst book.
    Come with me if you want to live.

No, seriously, I think I just started a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by [8ID]5|CPT.TechX View Post
    The death gate series (2 authors)
    The Hollows series by Kim Harrison

^ just a few of the series that has kept us up at night
    Mary Weiss and Tracy Hickman. To fantasy nerds they are the driving force behind Dragonlance. I was a big fan before they jumped the shark in the War of Souls trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by [5MR]LtCol.Max View Post
    Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series
    Brandon Sanderson - Finished the last few books of the WoT series and has an amazing set of other books.
    For the first time in our friendship Max, I think I have to disagree with you. While Sanderson is good, he has never grabbed be by the short hairs and yanked me into a story.

And Jordan.....sigh, I loved Wheel of Time until book 5-6. When progress just STOPPED. I read through 8 before just putting the series down. Seriously, I think all 400+ pages of 8 take place in like a month. Ugh. Too many characters bogged the progress down. No Martin has a huge cast of characters and still manages to keep our story moving along at a decent clip.

If you like those two though, I recommend Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. And for a more light read try out Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Quote Originally Posted by [21CW]GrimPagan View Post
    Terry Pratchett is the only author I been compelled to follow, and therefor have read most of his books.

My only experience with Tom Clancy was The Bear and the Dragon, which was pretty **** and put me off him, though people says that book was pretty much his worst book.
    I loved Bear & Dragon. I'd argue that Teeth of the Tiger was his worst Ryanverse book.

If you like Pratchett, try out Robert Lynn Asprin's Myth serious. Another Fine Myth is the first one. It's a bit punny, but worth getting through for the rest of the series. If you want to duck away from fantasy humor, hit up A. Lee Martinez, Divine Misfortune & Gil's All Fright Diner are my favorites of his currently.

A few I like:

W.E.B. Griffin - All of his series books are top notch. He has a few military series from around WW2. Also his police series from back in the 70s is pretty good.
    Harry Turtledove - His Series about an alien invasion during WW2 and how it changes the face of the world is very good.
    Alastair Reynolds - Heavy science fiction but very good. Have read some of his stuff, and am in the middle of 'Pushing Ice' right now. It is very good.
    Jack Campbell - His 'Lost Fleet' series is great.

And if you aren't into Sci-Fi... I recommend Adam Carolla's books 'In fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks' and 'Not Taco Bell Material'. They are hella-funny. If you have Audible, get the audiobook versions they are hillarious and I laughed so hard I cried several times.

David Gemmell ! I've got his whole series He passed away a few years ago

Must of read each book 2/3 times now lol
    [3SFG]Skulls|SGT.routaHHH ///// [1CAG]Skulls|Pvt.routaHHH ///// [1CAV]Chargers|CPT.routaHHH ///// [IDF]Adder.CPT.routaHHH ///// [SOAF]Sleepers of Jebel|2LT.routaHHH ///// [9AU]Scorpions|SFC.routaHHH ///// [USA]TPD|Pvt.routaHHH >>> Switched to >>> [3AAG]BW.Pvt.routaHHH ///// [7CAD]C|CPT.routaHHH ///// Retired ///// [ASF]D|Rec.routaHHH

Quote Originally Posted by [5MR]W|Pvt.Parts View Post
    A few I like:

W.E.B. Griffin - All of his series books are top notch. He has a few military series from around WW2. Also his police series from back in the 70s is pretty good.
    Harry Turtledove - His Series about an alien invasion during WW2 and how it changes the face of the world is very good.
    Alastair Reynolds - Heavy science fiction but very good. Have read some of his stuff, and am in the middle of 'Pushing Ice' right now. It is very good.
    Jack Campbell - His 'Lost Fleet' series is great.

And if you aren't into Sci-Fi... I recommend Adam Carolla's books 'In fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks' and 'Not Taco Bell Material'. They are hella-funny. If you have Audible, get the audiobook versions they are hillarious and I laughed so hard I cried several times.
    I loved WEB Griffin's Brotherhood of War series. Up until a point though, he completed the series. Epilogued all the characters. THEN started writing more books in the series. Cash grab? Soured me on him for a long time. Then I read the Men at War series, but around book 3 The Soldier Spies I noticed a formula to the books. And sure enough in The Fighting Agents exact same formula, just locations and some details swapped, so I put him down again.

If you like sci-fi, especially the more epic sci-fi, try out Ian Douglas' Galatic Marines series. It starts out in the dawn of manned exploration of the planets of the solar system, and by third trilogy it's spanning the galaxy. Truly, truly awesome stories told from the viewpoint of the grunts, as opposed to most epic sci-fi tales that are told from much higher up the CoC.

Quote Originally Posted by [7CAD]C|Rec.21CW_routaHHH View Post
    David Gemmell ! I've got his whole series He passed away a few years ago

Must of read each book 2/3 times now lol
    Loved his Troy books. If you liked them too, I recommend Ilium by Dan Simmons of Hyperion fame.

For those who may not have noticed, I am a voracious and varied reader. I will try anything one. . . except Stephanie Meyers. I have no desire to wade into the literary vomit she spews. Don't get me wrong, I read plenty from B-, C+ authors. But her stuff is a special kind of wrong.

Re: Dogma's Intervention: A discussion on addicting authors.

If you enjoy tech thrillers, Daemon and Freedom by Daniel Saurez is pretty good.

Battlefield Tournament History
    BF2 C17: [3ID]EZ|Sgt - BF2 C18: [24ME]C|GySgt - FFOW C19: [101]C|Pvt - FFOW C20: [101]C|Pvt - BF2 C21: [2-325]C|1Lt - BF2 C22: [1CD]K|2Lt - BF2 C23: [3MD]A|2Lt - BF2 C24: [1CD]D|Pvt - BF2 C25: [7ID]A|1Lt - BF2 C39: [1CMD]D|2LT - BF3 C40: [GAFE]X|CPT - BF3 C41: [SOAF]K|CPT - BF3 C42: [18AD]MAJ - BF3 C43: [USA]GEN - BF4 C44: [TA]/[7CAD]S|SGM - BF4 C45: [USMC]K|Capt - BF4 C46: [1MD]Col/[PLAN]S|Pvt - BF4 C47: [16AA]P|Pvt - BF4 C48: [25PD]K|Col - BF4 C50: [GC]Capt

Extended 21CW Campaign History:

21CW Enlisted 21CW Silver Donor

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

If you want to retry on clancy. Try the hunt for the red october or sum of all fears. They are brilliant imo

#38 [1FJR]SY|2LT.Webke #39 [1CMD]R|CPT.Webke #40 [GAFE]MG.Webke #41 [RDG]MG.Webke #42 [9AU]GEN.Webke #43 [3AAG]BW|CPT.Webke #44 [7CAD]V|SLT.Webke #45 [101AD]R|CPL.Webke #46 - 47 [TA]Webke #48 [1FR]W|PFC.Webke #49 [ASF]D|PFC.Webke #50 [21CW]D|PVT.Webke

Without Remorse is my favorite, though it doesn't have Jack Ryan in it. Webke's two recommendations are a close second.

Some good audiobooks I listened to at my old job:

Black Order by James Rollins
    Blasphemy by Douglas Preston
    Deep Storm by Lincoln Child
    Sphere by Michael Crichton

all good books imo

R. M. Meluch

Tour of the Merrimack series
    The Myriad (2005)
    Wolf Star (2006)
    The Sagittarius Command (2007)
    Strength and Honor (2008)
    The Ninth Circle (2011)

Good old fashioned laser beams space opera, have read each of the several times, great stories.
    If it feels like more than two fingers, it's probably a c**k

I can't believe everyone seems to have missed one of my favorite authors, Jim Butcher. The Dresden Files are excellent modern fantasy, and his Codex Alera series is the second best fantasy series I've ever read (props to Tolkien). Other authors I support are S.M. Stirling for his Emberverse series as well as his Mars and Venus books, and William Gibson, who makes cyberpunk a little more human. Much better alt history prose than Turtledove. Last but not least check out the original John Carter stories, which hold up really well for being 100 years old.

I have never been able to get into Dresden. Went three books in and it just didn't click. Codex Alera on the other hand, I was hoping someone would bring that up. Best damn series I have read in years. Funny tidbit, that series came out of a bet from a user at Del Rey online. The bet was he could write a story about any two lame ideas, and the two chosen? Pokemon and the Lost Roman Legion.

Want to talk about 100yr old stories that hold up well? Conan, Solomon Kane, Alain Quartermain, and most of Lovecraft. Those guys have stood the test of time. At least in my oh so humble opinion.

We've started The Dresden Files but haven't gotten far. Sounds like it's worth more reading.

Dogma's Intervention: A discussion on addicting authors.

I have too many to list! Shadow run was epic for cyberpunk tho. too bad you can't find any of the original books hardly anymore tho. that's varied authors too. and I also like Piers Anthony, Asimov, and Heinlen for older stuff, tech mentioned some of our newer stuff. also Charlain Harris (tho the tv show ruined the books for true blood ) and Karen Marie moning. I stick mostly to sci if and fantasy but we throw some conspiracy theory stuff in there for tech every now and then. he is starting to like the urban fantasy stuff more tho.. soon I will take him to darker depths of weirdness and make him listen to Laurel K Hamilton lol. but never Stephanie Meyers. NEVER! lol

__________________________________________________ _________
    TechX: "You didn't kill ANYONE?!?" Me: "No, but I got a lot of assists!"
    41:[RDG]A|PFC.Tygergirl 42:[9AU]SP|PFC.Tygergirl 43:[USA]A|SPC.Tygergirl
    44:[8ID]4|PVT.Tygergirl 45:[22AD]SP|SLT.Tygergirl 46:[1MD]SP|LCpl.Tygergirl
    47:[16AA]B|SGT.Tygergirl 48:[4ID]KST|Pvt.Tygergirl

Was going to mention both Jim Butcher and S.M. Sterling, so highly second those. I'm not big into fantasy but really enjoyed Codex Alera, although it kinda drags a bit towards the end of the series. Will also give a nod to Dan Simmons and Alister Reynolds (not light reading).

Some others I have always enjoyed, I'm a sucker for some good space opera:

John Scalzi - All of his books are great. Old Man's War is an excellent series, reminiscient of Starship Troopers and The Forever War but but I found them easier to read. Very funny at times too.
    Iain M. Banks - The Culture series takes a little to get into, but very worthwhile in the end. Creates a whole new universe. Consider Phebolas and Use of Weapons are some of my favourites.

James P. Hogan - Another universe creator, his Giants series has man and ET working alongside.

John Ringo - Troy Rising is a fun series, but they do get rather formulaic. Neat concept though and character driven. Seems to churn out the same type of books with different motifs on the regular.

Roger Zelzany - The Chronicles of Amber is some pretty epic fantasy.

Robert Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land, lots of others.

Walter M. Miller - A Canticle for Leibowitz, story of post-nuclear apocalypse society one of the best books I've ever read. Impossible to put down. Too bad he was crazy.

Frank Herbert and Isaac Asimov have some classics in Dune and the Foundation series, but also tend to get drawn out towards the middle/end of the series respectively.

David Brin's The Postman is a great book, too bad it's a ****ty movie.

--

I loved Lee Child for a long time, another author who has sadly turned out the same plot with a different setting over his last four or five books. Most recent one is no exception.

Clancy is at his best with young Jack Ryan and John Clark. That guy is a bad ***.

Edit: Came back to add Sara King's The Legend of Zero series. Book 3 is due sometime soon, one of the few independent authors I've ever enjoyed. Really neat universe she has created.

Keep this list up, I'm always looking for something new!
    Last edited by Dogma; 12-05-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by [8ID]4|REC.Tygergirl View Post
    I have too many to list! Shadow run was epic for cyberpunk tho. too bad you can't find any of the original books hardly anymore tho. that's varied authors too. and I also like Piers Anthony, Asimov, and Heinlen for older stuff, tech mentioned some of our newer stuff. also Charlain Harris (tho the tv show ruined the books for true blood ) and Karen Marie moning. I stick mostly to sci if and fantasy but we throw some conspiracy theory stuff in there for tech every now and then. he is starting to like the urban fantasy stuff more tho.. soon I will take him to darker depths of weirdness and make him listen to Laurel K Hamilton lol. but never Stephanie Meyers. NEVER! lol
    Many of the Shadowrun books are being reprinted. But the motherlode was when I started finding them in ebook format. In the same vein of 80s-90s techo-trash novels, I always loved the Mechwarrior (NOT THE DARK AGE BOOKS) and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron books. Anything by Michael Stackpole was awesome.

Like the Urban Fantasy? Try Hounded by Kevin Hearne. Don't let the atrociously typical Urban Fantasy weird romance cover throw you off, it's a great, smart tale. A friend sent it to me on my Kindle as a gift when I first received the Kindle. Loved it. When I went to buy the second, I looked at the cover and said to myself, "Glad I am not buying these in the store, they look like Celtic Romance novels."

Quote Originally Posted by [AMID]J|Rec.Yaargh! View Post
    Was going to mention both Jim Butcher and S.M. Sterling, so highly second those. I'm not big into fantasy but really enjoyed Codex Alera, although it kinda drags a bit towards the end of the series. Will also give a nod to Dan Simmons and Alister Reynolds (not light reading).

Some others I have always enjoyed, I'm a sucker for some good space opera:

John Scalzi - All of his books are great. Old Man's War is an excellent series, reminiscient of Starship Troopers and The Forever War but but I found them easier to read. Very funny at times too.
    Loved Old Man's War, couldn't really get into the others in the series.

Roger Zelzany - The Chronicles of Amber is some pretty epic fantasy.
    I never finished the Amber series. Courts of Chaos (Book 5) seemed to wrap up the series. Then I started book 6 and it felt like a cash grab, trying to extend a series you've already completed. W.E.B. Griffin did the same to me.
    Robert Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land, lots of others.
    Love Heinlein, but he comes in two flavours to me.
    1)Typical 50s+ sci-fi great, dealing with the BIG ISSUES. In his case, unlike Asimov & Clarke, it was human sexuality, relations, and their development along side technology. Friday,Time Enough For Love < great book, don't let the title make you think it's a romance thingy. Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (my favorite book of all time. Only a half-step above Asmiov's Caves of Steel) Strangers in a Strange Land, these all fall into that category. Usually his most well known works.
    2)One of the greatest pulpy sci-fi writer ever. Here I'm talking about his myriad of <300 page novels. So great, so fun. Farnham's Freehold, The Fifth Column,Starman Jones, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, God I could go on here. If you haven't hit this group of his, do so. I can give you a full list of these I recommend.
    But without a doubt, in my opinion, the work of his that receives a CRIMINAL amount of inattention is the Past through Tomorrow "Future History" collection. "The Man who Sold the Moon" is one of my favorite stories ever.

Gillian Rubinstein aka lian hearn wrote the TALES OF THE OTORI. only serries I read of her but it was very captivating I think my whole family liked it.

Got to second David gemell if you like Hero tales.
    Also for those who like fantasy I loved the David & Leigh Eddings serries on The dreamers

Conn Iggulden wrote two very good series, 1 about cesar and 1 about djingis khan. Not sure how accurate they are history wise but they are nice to read for fiction.
    Simmon Scarrow is another history, followes a guy through a couple of conflicts during the roman empire.

Patricia Briggs- Mercy Thompson series is pretty good, strong female lead character, modern times but with all kinds of fantasy creatures in hiding and living side by side with humans, Fay, shapeshifters, wearwolfes, vamps, deamons etc. I'm plowing through the books on the train and lunch breaks.

For those who might be interested to dabble in erotika with fantasy and a continues series there is
    Nalini Singh- Psy-changeling. There is currently 12 books a 13 is being written, the story follows 2 changeling packs in the US when things start to change. Each book focus on a new "couple" and they all go pretty much like this, introduce characters, some plot changes that means they start to notice each other. Some worldly changes that pushes the series forward, the big bad shows up. and then they **** and mate the end.
    The pros are that the books are following each other and there are some major events going on in the world, the cons is that you almost always know that they are gonna end up together rather early in the book.
    Sex scenes tend to be in the end of the book with some foreplay in the middle but not all ways in that order. Yes it is erotica, a sex scene can be like half a regular chapter. Another con can be that they can feel a little repetitive at times but the author does pretty well in mixing things up and making it complicated for the couple.
    The series have gotten a lot of praise and is a new york times bestselling author.

I can add that I like to read a lot of fantasy stuff, or hero stuff
    I have read the vampire acadamy and bloodlines this last year. It might feel a little too teeny sometimes but otherwise pretty good. If you love teenage drama and fantasy it's a must read and imo better than the twilight series. Mead is a little darker than stephenie meyer. a little less happy.
    Last edited by [21CW]IPG-Marine; 04-12-2014 at 03:22 PM.

I finished reading GoT a few months ago and have recently started on the Malazan: Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.

I'm on the third book now, and it is some heavy stuff. No hand holding or exposition about what is going, you get thrown in and just try to hang on. Highly recommended!

So, I've just finished the third Dresden book. And to be frank if I had not read the Codex Alera first, I would not read it now. Harry Dresden is Mary Sue fedora & trenchcoat wearing, faux-chivalrous mysoginist that all neckbeards aspire to be. Neglecting the facts that they'd need to invest in getting off their fat butts and exercise. Along with ya know, basic hygiene.

I can't continue to slog through this dreck anymore. Not even as a guilty pleasure "airport book" like Cussler, or the like. Or those .99-2.99 self-published Kindle books. Not even if "it gets better after the 5th book," because unfortunately for me every time I hear the name Dresden I picture this:

Please don't tell me it's supposed to be a noir style book. I've read Noir. Maltese Falcon is still one of my favorites. This is aping without understanding the meat. Man, I so wanted to like these books. I read THREE of the ****ed things. But I want those 14hrs back.

I have an early 2000s edition of Storm Front and it has a picture of Butcher at the time. He looks something like this in it:

Now tell me, thinking on Dresden, the cover artwork, everything surrounding the series. Doesn't it feel/look to you the he IS Dresden? It feels to me, the reader, that Butcher desperately wants me to think Dresden is cool. And I feel that he wants this so I think he's cool too. It feels like it's trying so hard....yet completely misses the point.

I know there are some fans who've posted up in here....but I'm done. I can't tread this path with you. I'm done. I'm out.