Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Dogma's Intervention: A discussion on addicting authors.

Now that I've lambasted some folks favorite author, sorry , let me talk about some books I have recently read out of Amazon's cheap pile and/or through Humble Bundle.

First is A Sword into Darkness. This is a nice little book by an American Naval officer. It's about one mans quest to prepare us for first contact with aliens. His evidence has been rejected by NASA, and he's been laughed at. So he takes his fortune and throws it all into developing the things he thinks are necessary to defend us.

This book isn't going to win a Nebula or Hugo. But if you like "hard" sci-fi, no FTL, reality based tech and such. This is a good read. Entertaining throughout with no major errors or editing things to take you out of the story. I give it a rating of "Entertaining."

Second, Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez. It's a book with the premise that all gods are real. That they have a real impact in our lives, and they desperately want our worship. They have online profiles like dating sites. We get to pick and choose. Enter our poor protagonists Teri and Phil. They don't have a god, but after things don't go well for them, decide to get one.

I like Martinez. He writes Urban Fiction with humor. This is the third of his books I read, and in my opinion the best of them. I've reread it 3 times in the last few years and it still makes me crack a smile throughout. If you haven't tried him, I highly recommend it if you're in the mood for some dry wit and a chuckle or two. I rate this "Giggle-rific."

Finally, I want to talk about a guilty addiction of mine. I love Warhammer 40k novels. I'm not a big fan of what Games Workshop has done w/ their tabletop games. They've priced me out and I don't like some of the rules, REALLY?!?! A cannon can shoot through a FOREST like a laser? No scatter at ALL? Then what's the point of a stone thrower? Can't wait for 9th ed. to come out. Their fluff/novel publishing wing Black Library, however, has really come along in the last 5yrs. From a beginning of writing fan-fic quality stuff to today's Horus Heresy & Battles of the Space Marines series they are some of the best mindlessly awesome books I've read in a while. Except for that one Niz last recommended to me, that was poo.

*SPOILER ALERT* The Warhammer universe is dark. Grimdark. You won't be dealing w/ what I call "PG-13 evil." Where throughout the book the protagonists talk about the evil the Necromancer is going to/has committed. No, in these books you'll be there right along side the cultists and sorcerers as they sacrifice cities, worlds, sectors for the hope of a small slice of their god's power. The spoiler below contains the text that prefaces every 40k novel.

The 40k books now happen in 2 eras 30k & 40k. That's the 30th millennium and 40th millennium, or 28,000 & 38,000 years from now. The Emperor of Mankind has created the Space Marines. Genetically enhanced soldiers capable of feats of prowess and savagery that a normal man couldn't ever hope to match. To lead them he has created 20 gene-forged sons, Primarchs, that are like demi-gods of legend to lead his Great Crusade in reuniting the human race and expunging the taint of xenos from the galaxy. The Horus Heresy (30k era) series tells of the end of the Great Crusade and what happens when some of the Primarchs fall to the temptation of Chaos. The 40k era books tell the tale of what's happening now, 10,000 years after the events of the Heresy. Over the next couple of months/weeks I will be picking individual books or series from the fold to highlight and talk about. But before I do that, let me leave you with this primer from Forbes, I agree with almost all of it. Though I personally would put Hero of the Imperium above the Smurf's (Ultramarines) Omnibus. It does provide a great intro into Space Marines. The article is HERE.

Well that's all for today. I'll respond to any posts y'all have and write some more reviews/suggestions next Tuesday.
    "Hmmm....That sounds like something a responsible parent wouldn't let you do. Good thing I'm an Uncle! Avenge me kids! AVENGE ME!" -Stan Pines (Gravity Falls)

21CW Enlisted 21CW Silver Donor

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

I started reading feist which i'm liking very much so far,
    Have read the 3 first books but now i'm having trouble finding the others

#38 [1FJR]SY|2LT.Webke #39 [1CMD]R|CPT.Webke #40 [GAFE]MG.Webke #41 [RDG]MG.Webke #42 [9AU]GEN.Webke #43 [3AAG]BW|CPT.Webke #44 [7CAD]V|SLT.Webke #45 [101AD]R|CPL.Webke #46 - 47 [TA]Webke #48 [1FR]W|PFC.Webke #49 [ASF]D|PFC.Webke #50 [21CW]D|PVT.Webke

So Magician, Silverthorn, and Darkness at Sethanon?

You looking for books or ebooks? And English or Belgium-ese?
    "Hmmm....That sounds like something a responsible parent wouldn't let you do. Good thing I'm an Uncle! Avenge me kids! AVENGE ME!" -Stan Pines (Gravity Falls)

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

Aye. Have read those 3 allready. Would like all the others now for my ebook (epub files if possible) and ofc in english ^^
    Having trouble finding em where i ussualy look since they are somewhat oldish

#38 [1FJR]SY|2LT.Webke #39 [1CMD]R|CPT.Webke #40 [GAFE]MG.Webke #41 [RDG]MG.Webke #42 [9AU]GEN.Webke #43 [3AAG]BW|CPT.Webke #44 [7CAD]V|SLT.Webke #45 [101AD]R|CPL.Webke #46 - 47 [TA]Webke #48 [1FR]W|PFC.Webke #49 [ASF]D|PFC.Webke #50 [21CW]D|PVT.Webke

Im seconding Pratchett and Ian Banks, my two favourite authors of all time and one died last year and the other has alzheimers, yay.... =s

21CW Ambassador
    21CW VIP Member

Beh my favourite, tom clancy died last year aswell

@ Dogma, I read that Forbes article and that she thinks the Ultramarines books and 15 hrs are good, says it all really, they are the drek at the bottom of the 40k novel barrel. IMO.

I disagree. The first trilogy is good for an intro truly is, Matt Ward has tainted our view of the Smurfs. Skip Killing Ground and you don't miss anything. Chapter's Due & Courage and Honour are BA. Especially Chapter's due.

Fifteen Hours is truly one of my favorite 40k novels. Not because it's well written, nor because the story is particularly good. But because it sums up the whole of 40k in one book. Nobody cares. Not the Administratum aid whose sole job it is to enter numbers that he is dictated. Not the Navy commanders who discover the orders were wrong. Not the ground troops. Not the paranoid rear-echelon folks. No one. If you're IG, you're meat. How can you not like that as an intro into the GrimDark?

The article isn't about good or great books in the universe, but great INTRO books. And those listed are pretty good at that job.

Well we can agree to disagree on those then :P

If you're reading the Dresden books as literature, you're doing it wrong.

Go re-read Heinlen.

He is dirty old man, especially later in life/career. It's not the sex or or having sexy women as most of the characters I object to. But's its the casual misogyny buried under faux chivalry that bothered me. And I usually don't notice crap like that, I like to turn my brain off when reading these kind of books.

And no, didn't read for literature. It was just dreck. Didn't like any of it. Loved Alera, didn't expect this to be anything like that. But I was just disappointed even with lowered standards. I WANTED to like them. It's why I trudged through 3. But couldn't...just couldn't.

Let me follow up on this. I LOVE Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series. Yes the cover are makes it look like some weird celtic romance novels, but man is it good. And I wanted to have another urban supernatural fun novel. I wanted Dresden to be it. But I just got blegh...

Quote Originally Posted by [2ID]Gen.z00keeper View Post
    I can't believe everyone seems to have missed one of my favorite authors, Jim Butcher. The Dresden Files are excellent modern fantasy, and his Codex Alera series is the second best fantasy series I've ever read (props to Tolkien). Other authors I support are S.M. Stirling for his Emberverse series as well as his Mars and Venus books, and William Gibson, who makes cyberpunk a little more human. Much better alt history prose than Turtledove. Last but not least check out the original John Carter stories, which hold up really well for being 100 years old.
    I fully agree about Jim Butcher. IDK if you guys are into audiobooks or not, but James Marsters does an AMAZING job of reading the Dresden Files. He truly brings Harry to life and adds a depth to the character that would be difficult to reach by reading alone. His reading of book 1 is okay, but he picks up steam in book 2 and from book 3 onward his reading is masterful. I not only read a ton, I also listen to lots of audiobooks b/c of the #@$%! 1-hour commute I have into work each day. A good audiobook makes those drives far more enjoyable.

war
    My current configuration:
    - Case: Corsair 760T
    - Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming G45
    - CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6GHz
    - Cooler: Corsair H-110
    - RAM: 32GB G-Skill Hyper (4x8GB) @ 1866MHz
    - Graphics: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4GB
    - Sound: onboard with a Sennheiser PC-350 headset
    - HDDs:
    ----250GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD (C:\ on the Intel SATA controller)
    ----3.0TB Seagate Barracuda (one drive to back them all)
    - Optical: Generic Samsung
    - Power: EVGA 850W Modular PSU
    - Mouse: Razer Death Adder Chroma
    - Keyboard: Matias Mini Quiet Pro with ALPS-style tactile switches (55g actuation)
    - Monitor: Acer HN274H (27" primary @ 120Hz), Planar PX2710MW (27" secondary @ 60Hz)

With you there warspite. I maintain about 6 acres of property, during the summer it means I'm out there almost every day mowing, trimming, cutting, doing something. Without audiobooks I'd go bonkers.

One thing that really blew my mind was when I first started listening to the Black Library audio dramas. They're like old-style radio shows, multiple actors, sound effects...man they're awesome.

You're right about Marster's reading, though my library only had the first four audio books. I also enjoyed "Anansi Boys," check it out if you can.

On Dresden Files:

I know you said it wouldn't make a difference, but the series really does get better after the first 3. Fool Moon (the second book) is, IMO, the worst of the series and Grave Peril isn't much better. None of them could be called masterpieces, but they're nowhere near as bad as the earlier volumes.
    [16AA]C42: [18AD]A|SGT.schmectite[/16AA] [16AA]C43: [3AAG]B|1LT.schmectite[/16AA] [1CAV]C45: [101AD]S|2LT.schmectite[/1CAV] [1CAV] C46: [2ID]COL.schmectite[/1CAV] C47: [1CAV]W|PVT.Fel0niusMonk

I might give it another shot, in a few months. But not any time soon. Those who like Dresden, I highly recommend Hounded by Kevin Hearne. It's the first in his Iron Druid series and is pretty BA.